Saturday, February 4, 2012

Mission: Zero Plastic Bags

Hafa Adai Micronesia,

         On a regular basis my mother and I shop at Pay-Less supermarket. It is a well-known landmark where most people on Guam get their groceries. There are 7 locations on Guam. The reason I bring this up is because recently Pay-Less has launched a campaign Mission Zero Bags.  I thought this was very interesting, so I found a video to sum up what it is all about. The video was made by KUAM news:

To eliminate plastic bags around the island, Guam residents can purchase reusable bags as an alternative. Reusable bags are only $.75 each. As an observer, I have seen many people rocking the Pay-Less bags not only at Pay-Less but at other stores too. The message is getting around fast. Because of the popularity of Pay-Less I believe smaller stores on Guam (“Mom and Pop stores”) will take the initiative to STOP/ reduce the use of plastic bags. Little things like switching from plastic bags to reusable bags can make a big difference. Mission Zero Bags helps with the Micronesia Challenge as well. If all goes well, there will be less plastic bags floating in the ocean, being littered on the ground or just sitting in the dump. Our island is definitely a step closer to a sustainable future. Now only if we can get rid of Styrofoam!


Young Champion,
Francine Cruz 

No comments:

Post a Comment